Thursday, July 10, 2014

What is Blepharitis?

What an odd word..."Blepharitis." It is obviously an inflammation of some sort, which explains the "itis" part. I just don't know what a blephar is...(goes to check this out)

Blepharitis is inflammation of the eyelid, especially related to the oil ducts at the bases of the lashes. It doesn't necessarily create a sty, but can cause a crust to matte the lashes together, resulting in discomfort. The eye can be reddened from the inflammation as well. Read more here: Mayo Clinic - Blepharitis

It is associated with celiac disease, though, not necessarily a direct result of celiac disease.

I have had this affliction on occasion. I always thought it was a childhood or allergy thing that you grew out of or only got on occasion. I have gotten styes before, but they are generally short-lived. I have not noticed a strong correlation with gluten poisoning, in my own case. I'm more inclined to blame the pollen counts.

Have you had blepharitis that was improved by a gluten free diet? Are you on a gluten free diet and have not had improvement in your blepharitis symptoms?

Thanks,

RG

No comments:

Post a Comment